There’s probably nothing worse than not being able to get into your iPhone. Attempting passcode after passcode, only to have your phone tell you that it’s disabled for a period of time. Or perhaps, you are a phone resale business and some of the phones that come into your business are locked up. You will need to learn how to unlock an iPhone passcode to get them open and clear them out before you’re able to sell them.
The main issue for unlocking iPhone is that you need a computer to help you. This is because Apple has taken security measures to protect you and your data, and they require that iTunes is used to unlock it.
The problem with this method of unlocking your phone is not everyone has computers. These days so much can be done in the palm of your hand on your iPhone that computers aren’t as necessary as they used to be. You would need to actually use a friend’s, or even go to the Apple store to finish the process of unlocking your phone. Luckily, there are a few options you can choose from if you need to unlock your iPhone passcode with a computer or unlock your iPhone passcode without a computer.
Get Your Phone Ready
First thing is first: you never know what might happen while trying to open your phone, so you will want to make sure you know what’s going on with all your data first. If you have purchased a locked out phone, you will want it all deleted. Or if it’s your phone, you will want to back it all up first. Here’s how you can do it:
Wipe your device using the Find My iPhone app. This is a way to remotely wipe your data, and it will remove absolutely everything. We’re talking EVERYTHING, so only do this as a last resort if it’s your own phone because your phone will be pretty much as good as new. If it’s a phone you’ve purchased, then this will be the quickest and easiest option for you.
Security Removal. If the locked out phone is one you purchased, if the phone has been stolen or if you want to clear your phone of all important information and you don’t have access to it, check out this blog for a complete guide on how to do just that.
How To Unlock iPhone Passcode
Now that your phone’s data is either backed up or totally erased, it’s time to get it unlocked. Here are a few ways how to unlock your iPhone without computer work, and with a computer.
Bypass & Unlock iCloud Activation
If you have purchased a phone that has been locked out, or if you have accidentally locked yourself out of your own phone, you will need to bypass and unlock iCloud. Make sure you check out this blog for exactly how to safely perform it, and ways you can test your phone to see what kind of condition it is in.
Unlock iPhone Passcode and Keep Data
This method only works for iOS 6 and older. Unfortunately, due to Apple’s updates security measures, you will not be able to perform the method below if you have an iOS 7 or newer unless you have a backup made via iCloud. You will need to reset your device, which will erase all of your data and settings.
- First, you will need to go through the Wipe your device using the Find My iPhone app procedure, above. This will clear your phone completely.
- Then, you will need to restore your iPhone from your iCloud backup. Here’s exactly how to do it, via Apple themselves:
- On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Software Update. If a newer version of iOS is available, follow the onscreen instructions to download and install it.
- Make sure you have a recent backup to restore from.
- On iOS 11 or later: Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Manage Storage > Backups.
- On iOS 10.3: Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud. Tap the graph that shows your iCloud usage, then tap Manage Storage.
- On iOS 10.2 or earlier: Go to Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage.
- Then tap a device listed under Backups to see the date and size of its latest backup.
- For information about backing up manually now, see Backup your iOS devices to iCloud. If you don’t see a backup you expected to be there, see the Apple Support article If iCloud Backup couldn’t be completed or you can’t restore.
- Go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap “Erase All Content and Settings.”
- On the Apps & Data screen, tap Restore from iCloud Backup, then sign in to iCloud.
- Proceed to “Choose backup,” then choose from a list of available backups in iCloud.
- For help deciding which backup to restore from, including information about restoring from another device’s backup, see the Apple Support article if iCloud Backup couldn’t be completed or you can’t restore.
Unlock iPhone Passcode and Lose Your Data
- Connect your iPhone to your computer and open iTunes. If you don’t have a computer, all you need is access to one with iTunes. You can pop into any Apple store and use their computers, or you can have them help you out at the Genius Bar.
- While your device is connected, grab your phone and force-restart it.
- On an iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the recovery mode screen.
- On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold both the Side and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery mode screen pop up.
- When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Restore.
- iTunes will then download software for your device.
- If you have a backup, then chose to restore and select the latest backup.
- Once the restore is completed, you can set up your device as if it were fresh from the Apple store.
Buying iPhones in bulk? Make sure they’re tested
If you buy iPhones in bulk for your business and many of them are locked, it is important to have them tested and cleared before you sell them. Running diagnostics on your phones will be able to tell you exactly what is wrong with them, as well as clear all data and test all their functions such as speakers and microphones. There are many ways to do this, or you can use a software program like PhoneCheck to perform it all for you in under 2 minutes. Our software will give you a comprehensive print-out as well as a certification when it is ready to hit the shelves!