Many of us have text messages on our iPhones that we like to look back on, or keep to search for important information. Whether it’s feeling nostalgic and reading back at an old conversation, finding a funny joke someone told you or finding an address that you need to get to, texts are always handy to have around. It’s important to know how to recover deleted text messages just in case anything happens.
Making room for more space on iPhones is easy if you delete old text messages, especially threads with large files or a lot of media on them. In addition, deleting old texts is a great way to protect sensitive data. If you have found yourself in a position that you’ve accidentally deleted something important and need it back – don’t worry. It’s pretty easy to possibly recover old text messages, and we will cover all the best ways to get them back.
How To Recover Deleted Text Messages on iPhone
Until your phone is overwritten, data will remain on it even if it has been deleted. This is important to keep in mind not only when recovering old texts, but for when you’re getting ready to get rid of your phone. Even though texts and apps that contain important or sensitive information may have seemingly been deleted, they can still be recovered by an unscrupulous buyer.
The only sure way to completely and permanently delete everything from your iPhone before selling it is to do a factory reset, as well as using an iPhone diagnostics tool such as PhoneCheck. Not only will all your sensitive information be gone and you can have peace of mind, but you’ll see what else is going on with your phone and what needs to be fixed.
If you haven’t done a factory reset and need to recover deleted text messages on iPhone, your phone may be able to do it with one of the below methods.
Recover Deleted Text Messages on iPhone Through iCloud
If you are pretty good about keeping up with your iPhone’s iCloud backups, then you might be in luck. There are two methods to recovering deleted text messages on iPhone using iCloud. One of them requires your iPhone to be reset, the other doesn’t. Depending on your needs, you may need to explore both.
If you don’t have a computer handy, you can recover text messages by using an old backup on your iCloud. First, you will need to see if you have a backup that is old enough to include the text messages you need.
- Open the Settings app
- Tap your name at the top
- Tap on iCloud > Manage Storage > Backup
- Tap on your old backups to see the dates
- If there is one that will work, note the date of it for the next step
If you find a backup that will work, you will need to restore your iPhone to factory settings and then set it up using the backup.
- Go to the Settings app
- Tap on General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings
- Wait a few minutes until your iPhone resets, then gives you the option to recover your device from an old backup
- Choose the backup you noted from earlier
- Viola! Your old texts are back
If you have a computer handy and you don’t want to reset your phone, there is still a way to recover old messages using iCloud.
- Go to icloud.com and login with your Apple ID
- Click on Text Messages, if you see the option. If you do not, it’s because your messages haven’t been backed up and you’ll need to try another method.
- Search your messages to find what you want back on your phone
- On your iPhone, go to Settings > Your Name > iCloud > Turn Off Text Messages > Keep On My iPhone
- Turn text messages back to the On, then tap on Merge
- Your text messages should now be back on your phone!
Use iTunes to Recover Deleted Text Messages on iPhone
If you haven’t been keeping up with your iCloud backups too well, don’t stress out. There is still a way you can try to recover deleted text messages through iTunes. This method will overwrite any new data on your iPhone, so make sure you do a backup of your iPhone now before beginning this method.
- Using a charging wire, connect your iPhone to your computer
- Open the iTunes app if it does not automatically pop up
- Click on the iPhone icon in the top left corner
- Click on Restore Backup
- Your old data will replace everything on your phone, including your text messages
Recover iPhone Text Messages With Third Party Apps
If none of these methods have worked, you aren’t totally out of luck yet. Luckily, there are tons of third-party apps that can help you recover deleted text messages on iPhone. There are so many hidden areas that data sticks around, and these apps can find them. It might cost you a couple bucks, but if the text messages are important enough to recover, it might be worth it. While there are no guarantees, it might be worth a shot. Just make sure to delete the app as soon as possible so that it doesn’t take up too much memory on your iPhone.
Ask Support to Recover Deleted Text Messages on iPhone
If all else fails, it never hurts to ask before you wave the white flag and call it quits on your efforts. You can go in to your local Apple Store to meet with someone from the Genius Bar to help you out, or contact their support. There could be something they might be able to help with, or a step you may have missed. All it may cost is a bit of your time, but it never hurts to reach out to the experts if nothing else has worked.
Let Us Know!
Have you been able to successfully recover deleted text messages on iPhone? Which method worked best for you? Let us know in the comments!